Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:09 pm 

Hey all, I'm new here as you can see. Thanks for the help so far. I'm new to this forum and sluices in general but not new to Au. I'm just now finishing 3 river sluices, 2 are with GoldHog mats, the 3rd is a combo of expanded metal/Hungarian-riffles/moss/and rubber matting (Keene A52). Last fall while prospecting I found MANY pieces of quartz with gold either attached or embedded in that quartz (small pebble-size). I was classifying gravels down to 1/4" (dry) then running this dirt through a very "modified" spiral wheel, leaving cons that had many of these quartz/gold pebbles. Non of these pebbles were smooth, all were very sharp/jagged. I'm not sure how many I didn't "catch" as I wasn't paying attention to anything that large in my "tailings". I certainly started to pay attention once I discovered them! Question:::The sluice-builds are an attempt to move more material in less time (I'm a genius!) lol. Is there a way to either set-up a river sluice to "retain" larger cons or to try and hold pebbles that may be heavier because of gold content? I'm wondering if using Talon, Scrubber or UR would hold larger pices? Is altering velocity with certain mats to try and retain a certain size pebble a realistic approach? Anyone encounter this situation? I'll happily entertain all ideas. Thanks!!
OregonJohn

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 pm 

PS
Maybe using a HogPan is the answer? I'd like to avoid that option if I can?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 am 

John,

The main problem with trying to 'catch' Gold+Quartz is that the Quartz, at about 3+ Specific gravity, makes the 'specimen' much lighter than just the Gold. Realistically, the light specimens will almost certainly process through the sluice - just like a non-Gold bearing Quartz rock. De-tuning the sluice to catch just Quartz (or Quartz+Gold as the same thing) would be a fool's errand. You would be retaining all Quartzie rocks and that is a pretty high % of the slurry.

If there are enough specimen pieces to make the effort worthwhile, and it well could be, (you decide) then pre classify to hand sort all the Quartz pieces and use the sluice to retain Gold and pass Quartz, black sands and anything else that is light.

Some song about not being able to have your Kate and Edith, too comes to mind. :roll:

Joe

WAR HORSE DREDGER
- Member #5 (GOLD)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:22 am 

You need a rock crusher. If you have small pebbles with gold, you have bigger rocks with gold as well. crush the rocks then sluice that.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:51 pm 

So, I guess it needs to be explained, are you zeroing in on Quartz/Gold pieces for just the Gold content or as specimens?

I would say that if just Gold then crush away and run the crushed material.

WAR HORSE DREDGER
- Member #5 (GOLD)

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk