Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk

Post subject: Sluice lenth
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:10 pm 

I'm new here so please patient!
I'm not new to Au but I am new to building a river sluice-box. A have a Keene A52 box and another box that I had bent by the boys in our shop and it is 9" wide with a flair from Royal that fits a 9" box. I will be using HogMat(s) for both builds. What I have noticed is that most sluice manufactures offer sluices in several lengths even these different length boxes are the same width. What gives? What are the thoughts on river sluice lenth/width? If there is no advantage with a 52" length over a 36" why are they being used? It seems that a short sluice might have an advantage in low/slow water because adjusting for pitch would be easier. Does Doc recommend a minimum length/width for the different mats best suited for a river sluice? My head hurts...
John

Post subject: Re: Sluice lenth
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:47 am 

wow. Depends on your environment. If you have fast water flow or deep water flow -hydrolic force comes into play. Matt riffles get lower with slower water and increased pitch to counter that. If you have fast deep water flow you lower the pitch and have bigger riffles generally speaking.
Also, if you have slow water flow you will probably want to classify before sluicing. Fast water flow will push rocks through the sluice. As for length-depends on if you think your losing gold. Test your tailing-if you're losing gold-you need to change your setup or accept the losses. I have a keen a52 and a hog sluice. Hog sluice with the drop for mats is way better. With the keen a 52 I had to add perforated metal above my mats for classifying. Now I don't anymore. Both catch good gold but I have a lot of force were I mine. Water is about 3" deep and pitch about 12 degrees and fast! Pushes rocks right through. Shovel right into the sluice with no worry of losing gold. Also capture zones come in to play. Have different mat configurations for different environments. One config I have is ur sc sc ur sc ur. Works really well in fast water. There is a science behind that configuration of mats and testing. No one mat or sluice configuration will be right for all environments. I usually bring a piece of gold with me to test right before I start mining. Testing the sluice setup takes away all worries.

Post subject: Re: Sluice lenth
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 am 

The rule I work by is that the longer the sluice, the harder it is to get a good angle for the mats to exchange properly. So I think that au007 has a good point in testing losses. make it as short as you can without losing gold. The other piece that is in play is portability and the terrain you are working in. How badly do you need to be able to carry it and how far and over what kind of ground. smaller may be better in some scenarios.

I would also think that if using hog mats, checking out the dimensions of the gold hog stream sluice might give you an indicator of the ideal length from their perspective. They do a ton of research to create the sluices that they make. Just an idea.

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk