Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk

Post subject: stream sluice
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:39 am 

I would like to know if it is really necessary to concentrate your rocks and or dirt before running thru sluice.I would like to just slowly put shovels in it.

Post subject: Re: stream sluice
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:16 am 

Bucky,

Maybe I can help.

buckyoh72 wrote:
I would like to know if it is really necessary to concentrate your rocks and or dirt before running thru sluice.I would like to just slowly put shovels in it.

I suspect that you actually meant to write "classify" and not "concentrate" - and the answer to that is no, there is no reason or need to classify your material before running through an in-stream sluice box --- with one exception.

Some folks do pre-classify bank run material to a small size like 1/4" or 1/2" (some folks do a lot of unusual things) - but that really should only be considered necessary if you have to transport your dug material an uncomfortably long distance to the sluicebox. No sense carrying the larger rocks in your dug material a long way in a bucket or two just to run them through a box.

In only that single instance pre-classifying to say 1/2" or even a little larger - and only filling two buckets (a balanced load with one for each hand) 1/2 full will greatly reduce fatigue. If just shoveling straight into the sluice box (as you mentioned) just don't drop rocks larger than 1" - 1.5" into it. Golf ball size and smaller is perfectly OK for an in stream sluice.

Take the time to look at Doc's videos to get a sense of what is the largest rock to consider running through an in-stream sluicebox. The water requirements for the in-stream sluice box is important, as well as the drop or pitch and you can get a handle on that from the videos. DO NOT overload the box with too fast a shoveling rate.

Invest time in knowledge to work smarter and not harder. :!:

Joe

WAR HORSE DREDGER
- Member #5 (GOLD)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:54 pm 

Yes I meant classify so my main point is less work and time classifying and more material ran thru the sluice.I do have a gold cube and it does great in recovering fine Ohio gold but the process takes a lot of time to classify buckets to run through it.If I had a choice I would rather have had a multi sluice and or a stream sluice but I got the gold cube as a gift from my girlfriend so now I am looking at both multi and stream sluice to add to my prospecting equipment.I love and watch all docs videos on both.Thank you for the reply.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:26 pm 

Like what was said depends on how I am doing it .If shoveling directly into it I do not classify .But if I have to hall it it gets classified.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:19 pm 

If you have a good water flow most rocks will just roll out the box. If water speed is not that great, then classifying to 1/2 inch really does not take long. It really comes down to watching the sluice and understanding whats happening in it. Flatter rocks tend to hang up. Really depends on the material you run. What works good in one spot may work terrible in another.

Proud to have served in The United States Marine Corps
There is no such thing as an EX-MARINE
LDMA
WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #7 (SILVER)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:17 pm 

Thanks for the reply,I want something light and easy to set up because i might have to go a long way looking for a good spot to prospect,next summer I plan on getting a keene 2 inch backpacker dredge with gold hog mats,a gold hog multi sluice so I might not even go with a stream sluice.I need equipment that is light weight to travel on foot with for those remote locations.

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk