Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:58 pm 

What is the difference between putting the ball valve at the pump VS putting ball valve at the highbanker?

I am so close to having my system up and running...Headed to Thermal City as soon as I work out all the kinks!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:15 am 

Putting a normal, semi-permanent, diameter REDUCER in your hose, well that should only be done at the pump end of that hose. If you are putting a ball valve SHUTOFF in it can, in theory, go anywhere in the line. IF the ball valve SHUTOFF is put on the highbanker end it is much handier since you can use it as a shutoff as well as regulate water flow while observing the direct results in the highbanker.

IF the ball valve is normally opened and closed there is no problem --- but --- IF you quickly slam closed the valve with normal or full RPMs on the engine / pump then the waterhammer effect in your pressure system can easily destroy the hose. The answer is to open and close the ball valve at a reasonable rate wherever you install it.

My buddy slammed close the valve at the highbanker end of the hose while at regular running RPMs a few years ago. It took over a half day round trip to town to replace almost all the 1 inch pressure hose from the pump reducer to the ball valve.

The good news is that it only has to happen to you ONCE to never have it happen to you a second time. From that point on he always hesitated just a second before normally closing the valve.

Joe

WAR HORSE DREDGER
- Member #5 (GOLD)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:27 pm 

I have been unable to find a cam lock reducer that goes from 2" hose to 1-1/2" female cam lock. Nor can I find a suction hose at 2-1/2" ID. I even went to the Kannaflex and Tigerflex Mfg. and couldn't find it. Can anyone help me, please? :? Dan

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:25 pm 

You can find Kanaflex suction hose that has 2.5" ID if you go to the Kanaflex web site and download the following catalog: "http://www.kanaflexcorp.com/hose_lit/Kanaflex%20Catalog%20(12-15).pdf"
Look on page 8 (of the PDF) for "Kanalite Flex CL" 100CL hose and look at the chart for the ID you want.
Or for Tigerflex hose, go to the Kuriyama website here: http://products.kuriyama.com/viewitems/ ... ion-hose-2

Hope that helps for the hose at least.
Beav

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:23 pm 

I'd use a globe valve http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/174582 ... t_font.jpg and or just about anything except a ball valve. They can be found made of pvc in any plumbing supply section of hardware stores.
Ball valves are designed for use as a shutoff only and don't control as well for fine adjustments of flow.

2.5" suction hose can also be found on ebay.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:40 pm 

For me, I adjust the basic flow of water with the engine speed and only use the ball valve to fine tune what I need. :shock: I've never had any problems so far. ;)

Joe

WAR HORSE DREDGER
- Member #5 (GOLD)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:59 pm 

Sorry if I was unclear, I need a reducer from the 2" hose coming from high-pressure water pump when it gets to the nozzle that uses 1-1/2" fitting. Trying to prevent the loss due to hose size. Thank you all. I am getting a Gold Hog Raptor 2 that I intend to set up as a suction dredge high-banker. :D

Last edited by connollydj on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:44 pm 

I can't find a 1 piece reducer like you need but you can easily build your own using a 2" hose barb with female threads, a 2"x1.5" bushing and a 1.5" camlock with 1.5" male threads threaded into it.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:52 am 

I found the way around my predicament basically about how you said but different, LOL. Thank you for the reply. Dan

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk