Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:42 pm 

"Coffee Can on a Stick"
As many of you know California has ban all motorized gold prospecting and mining within 100 yards of any stream within the Bear Flag State as of January 2016. Motorized includes both 12 volt dc and gas operated suction pumps even if setup as recirculating systems with sediment catch basins. Unfortunately, the high bank deposits I have been working with a motorized Gold Hog highbanker are within that 100 yard limit. California also prohibits adding sediments to any stream (dry to wet) which eliminates sluicing dry bank deposits in any of the streams (only wet to wet or dry to dry are allowed). The new statewide law amounts to a 166 year setback for most of California's placer miners and prospectors. It appears we may be in a foot race towards the past. Not one to be beaten in a foot race backward, I decided to follow the lead of the old timers of the 1850's. The attached photos are of a prototype 10" x 32" recirculating rocker box I just completed. The tub holds 12 gallons of water which is recirculated using the coffee can ladle. Washed material falls off the end of the sluice into the bucket for backfill disposal. The slope of the sluice box is set at 1 1/2 inches per foot. Due to space limitations, not pictured is a matted back-sloped riffle which slides directly under the rock box classifier which is sloped down towards the rear of the rocker. DIY material cost was $150 without the expanded metal and carpet. Weight is less than one full bucket of 1/2 inch classified. Being a fan of Gold Hog mats once the rocker is field tested the carpet and expanded metal will be replaced with UR mats.

Good Luck and...
Semper Fi

Attachments:
File comment: Rocker Box with Coffee Can Ladle
Rocker Box.jpg
Rocker Box.jpg [ 125.98 KiB | Viewed 7270 times ]
File comment: Rock Box with 3/8" classifier
Rock Box.jpg
Rock Box.jpg [ 123.11 KiB | Viewed 7270 times ]
File comment: Reverse Riffle, Flood Chamber with miner's moss and mat under
Drop.jpg
Drop.jpg [ 140.85 KiB | Viewed 7270 times ]
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:57 pm 

Maybe something like this so you can get rid of the coffee can......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xUJYJXAgVo

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:18 pm 

Like the idea but the site problem is that the old channel deposits is 30 feet above and 100 feet plus from the existing stream channel water source. A manual pump may not be able to manage the 30 foot lift. Packing three buckets of water is far less labor that packing classified material offsite for processing. Plus being onsite a simply check of the mat lets you know if you are still on the pay. Thanks for the input.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:34 pm 

Set it up as a recirculator like the one you are already thinking of ... pump from your tub instead of scooping with a coffee can..... you don't have to pump the water from the creek.........

Here are some to look at....... http://www.westmarine.com/manual-bilge-pumps

By the way.... You have done a very nice job on the rocker-box.....

Last edited by johnedoe on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:53 pm 

Good idea! There must be more oxygen at your location than mine.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:56 pm 

Well, I do live at sea level...... :D

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:03 pm 

Awesome looking box, but the problem really is the State. I can't wait till the day I can retire & move out of this F***ed up state my self.
Nice job though, hopefully you can shoot some footage of it in action. Would love to see it in the field.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:41 pm 

Nice build.
It may be too late to make this mod but if you can and you haven't already(?)... a diverter directly below your grizzly box pointed towards the upper end of the diverter (AKA apron) that directs material to the back of the box would be helpful. Lining the section that feeds the sluice with removable miners moss or, like some of the oldtimers used, carpet will catch a good portion of the fine gold. Actually I like the idea of the apron to be loose canvas so it forms sort of a pocket to catch black sands and gold while the water and other material washes over the lip into the sluice section. The action in the pocket (it will hold enough water as long as you are in operation) will be much like that of a gold pan and allow the heavies to settle out of the slurry (concentrate) and stay while the lighter material is displaced and washed over the lip and down into the sluice section. That is the way many rocker boxes were designed and most of the gold recovered was found in the apron pocket according to what I have read.

Good luck

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm 

Here's a photo of the matted back slope riffle with a 1 1/2" per foot fall towards the rear of the rocker. Material from the rock box drops through the 3/8" classifier onto the back slope riffle then into the reverse riffle flood chamber. The bottom of the flood chamber has matting covered by miner's moss. The flood chamber holds the processed material and helps to break down the clay to release any fine gold.

Attachments:
File comment: Matted Back Slope Riffle
Back Slope.jpg
Back Slope.jpg [ 127.57 KiB | Viewed 7199 times ]
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:06 pm 

Rocker Box Test Run
Ran 8 cubic feet (4-4 gallon buckets) of material through the rocker box. Recovered 8 grains of gold in 1 picker, 15 flakes and 25 coarse pieces.

Ran the all material a second time through the Gold Hog highbanker to check for losses. Recovered another 2 grains of gold in 10 smaller flakes and 30+ fine pieces.

Material processed was from an old concreted stream channel heavy with clay. Required 20 minutes to process one (1) 4-gallon bucket with one person feeding, rocking and ladling water.

Need to install a spring assembly to hold the rocker in the upright level position when not being rocked; and stir the clay up while in the rock box to break clay balls apart.

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Prospecting Equipment Talk