Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Multi Sluice Info

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:50 am 

:? As I currently have to hand classify material to 1/4" to run through the Multi Sluice, I was contemplating removing the header box and installing a header box similar to the one on the Piglet mini sluice with 1/4" spacing of grizzley bars and the piece of Hog mat and reverse riffle installed . Being as the sluices are the same size would this work and what size of bilge pump would be needed (using the 1 1/8" hose)? Would a different set of mats be required?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 pm 

That's a damn good question. .!!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:05 am 

On his video Doc runs the PIGLET with a 3700 gph bilge pump. I believe that bilge pumps of this size use 1- 1/2" hoses however. And yes I think that you would be better off with some different mats.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:16 pm 

Since the material would still be classified, the pump would be no different. In the video for the multisluice, Doc uses an 1100 GPH pump in the shop. But running in the feild he uses a 1500 GPH to compensate for a longer hose and more lift. (you will lose about 100 GPH for each foot of lift and for each 5 feet of hose) I use a Johnson 2200 GPH bilge pump with 12 Feet (just too lazy to cut it) of 1 1/8 hose and use the reducer nipple and the multisluice works perfect. tried it without the reducer and was way too much water.
However, I use it to reduce my cons from the viper, not as a primary prospecting tool.

As a side note, If you do decide to do the reverse ramp riffle, I would test it before taking to the field. Get it too high and the material will just pack up behind it and defeat its purpose. Also this is a narrow sluice and you can easily wind up with too much water for it and just blow everything out, A delicate balancing point this prospecting stuff is (rocket science, maybe not, but damn close)

Proud to have served in The United States Marine Corps
There is no such thing as an EX-MARINE
LDMA
WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #7 (SILVER)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:49 am 

Thanks for the responses. My thoughts were about the same as Pure Country, The same amount of water would just be introduced to the Multi Sluice, just in a different way and the material would be still classified to 1/4" after passing over the grizzley. The reverse riffle, if needed :?:, would be the same as in the Piglet and adjustable. I was planning on using a 1500 gph pump with a valve inline to control the water volume if needed or as PC noted, use the flow restrictor . Since the material running in the sluice should be the same as what the Multi was originally designed for then the current matt #1 should perform as designed. Then switch over to the original header box and proceed with the stripper matt as originally intended.

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Multi Sluice Info