Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Testing Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

mdvga wrote:
I think I can put a piece of wood across the mat, side to side, to act as a dam just before I turn off the water. This will create a pool of water which should make it easy to suck up the clean gold with a Snuffer bottle.

Like the video...
Only suggestions...
1- Use a small scoop so the feed rate is a bit more steady and constant. FYI....My wife yelled at me last week. I found 4 large spoons in the garage. OOPPSS... The slow steady feed helps I have found.
2- Try dropping the pitch about 1/2 degree per screening level when running larger quantities too. Maybe it just scares me that the mat gets SO clean above 50 and 100 mesh range. But like I said... it's all just GUESS and TEST at this point.
:)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:52 pm 

I just hope we can get some decent weather conditions so I can do some more testing.
Just a side note, but I really like having the ability to set the water flow so precisely. I think it enables me to test very accurately at least in terms of water volume.
Thanks for the suggestions. I must admit though, I'm not a fan of spooning material into my sluices. I am usually on the edge of overloading the sluice...impatience I guess. :-)
By the way, great show last night on GPS. You did a good job. mdv

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

I've got the perfect size scoops for it.
Since it processes so fast it really doesn't slow you down much.
Hate to see you run a bowl.... lol
Thanks... show was fun.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 am 

Well Im am struggling with how to come across with what I want to say but the mats do refine the cons now I just need to show what I'm talking about :( Brain Farts at 50 plus sorry

WAR HORSE DREDGER # 3

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:16 am 

Patience young man. The main thing is the video...pictures worth a thousand word...especially of the gold...:-)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:28 am 
Site Admin

rayzer13 wrote:
Well Im am struggling with how to come across with what I want to say but the mats do refine the cons now I just need to show what I'm talking about :( Brain Farts at 50 plus sorry

Yes......... I've learned in video......... say what you MEAN..... and focus on that ONE point and
then REPEAT that point.... again....
i.e.
"let me repeat that.... focus here with me.... "
lol
:)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:35 pm 

Ok I'm uploading one vid sorry if it don't make sense ?!? I am hoping to go out this next sunday and get some fresh cons this time from the beach so I should have lots of lead and fine fly poop gold . I'm still trying to refine my micro sluice and am going to try a lot more angle setting with the washer mats in a attempt to remove more of the non gold material

WAR HORSE DREDGER # 3

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:14 pm 

Ok so here is some of my testing I think this next sunday I should be able to make a better vid :ugeek:

WAR HORSE DREDGER # 3

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 pm 

I tested for 4 hours today. Ran everything at 9 and 10 degrees and from 100 to 150 GPIH. The mat seemed to easily capture really clean gold at smaller mesh sizes, especially 50 to 100. The larger material 50+ still caught the gold, but there was a lot more non-gold material left in the mat.
I also put a downsteam dam in place to pool up the water for each snuffer bottle cleanup. Without creating a pool, I found it extremely difficult to use a snuffer bottle on the mats as the water was too shallow to get good suction. I found the GoldSyringe (Goldsyrnige.com) did a really good job. Much better than a regular snuffer bottle because it could maintain suction longer than the regular snuffer bottle. This made sucking up the gold in the relatively long runs of the full width of the mats easier. Also, the Gold Syringe with the smallest diameter nozzle did best in the very narrow grooves of the mats.
By using the snuffer bottle to clean up directly from the mats, you take advantage of the fact that the gold is so clean and hardly needs any additional cleanup at all...very little panning. However, it only makes sense to snuffer up the cleanest gold, cleaning up the rest of the mat as normal.
Overall I like the mat a lot. I hope to test the mat in my Stacking Highbanker as well. mdv

Last edited by mdvga on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Admin

I like the RiverHog dam Ray....... good thinking. One of the guys at the shop had mentioned that but I never did it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Testing Forum