Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Viper Highbanker

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:19 pm 

For those that are using a Viper Pro Flare as a dredge, I could really use some help. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan, so I have a lot of free time to do my research. I also just placed an order for the Viper Pro Flare a couple of days ago.

A little background. I prospected briefly last year in Virginia. Looking for mostly fine gold. I purchased a homemade dredge, that worked horribly. I have always been interested in high banking, which is the reason why I purchased the Viper Pro Flare. I already own a NorthStar 3" Semi Trash pump, and plan on reducing that to 2" for high banking operations.

My question is: Which pump do you recommend when using the Viper Pro Flare as a 2.5" dredge? I think I've watched all of the Viper videos, however the dredge ones mainly focus on the normal Viper (I apologize if I have missed a video with the Viper Flare). It appears the standard NorthStar 2" high pressure pump may be insufficient (8100 GPH), if there needs to be 9200 GPH going over the mats for the flare. On another thread, Doc stated the Viper pro really likes between 6000-9000 GPH, but the product page states 9200 GPH.

Is the NorthStar 2", 8100 GPH (94 PSI) adequate for the water requirement, or should I look at a different pump? Alternatively, would you recommend supplementing the water requirement from lets say a 2000 GPH billge pump to get over the 9200 GPH requirement.

Thank you for all of your previous discussions. I have already purchased a 2.5" suction nozzle, with 1.5" inlet, and the suction nozzle adapter for the box.

I plan on purchasing 25' of high pressure hose, and 20' of 2.5" dredge hose.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:34 am 
Site Admin

griffinsaic wrote:
For those that are using a Viper Pro Flare as a dredge, I could really use some help. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan, so I have a lot of free time to do my research. I also just placed an order for the Viper Pro Flare a couple of days ago.

A little background. I prospected briefly last year in Virginia. Looking for mostly fine gold. I purchased a homemade dredge, that worked horribly. I have always been interested in high banking, which is the reason why I purchased the Viper Pro Flare. I already own a NorthStar 3" Semi Trash pump, and plan on reducing that to 2" for high banking operations.

My question is: Which pump do you recommend when using the Viper Pro Flare as a 2.5" dredge? I think I've watched all of the Viper videos, however the dredge ones mainly focus on the normal Viper (I apologize if I have missed a video with the Viper Flare). It appears the standard NorthStar 2" high pressure pump may be insufficient (8100 GPH), if there needs to be 9200 GPH going over the mats for the flare. On another thread, Doc stated the Viper pro really likes between 6000-9000 GPH, but the product page states 9200 GPH.

Is the NorthStar 2", 8100 GPH (94 PSI) adequate for the water requirement, or should I look at a different pump? Alternatively, would you recommend supplementing the water requirement from lets say a 2000 GPH billge pump to get over the 9200 GPH requirement.

Thank you for all of your previous discussions. I have already purchased a 2.5" suction nozzle, with 1.5" inlet, and the suction nozzle adapter for the box.

I plan on purchasing 25' of high pressure hose, and 20' of 2.5" dredge hose.

I would read this thread: http://www.goldprospectingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1296

I think it will make it clear. The HP pump from northstar 2" is the right one.
Just make sure you put a FINE screen over the intake, like 1/16th screen bag as shown in the most recent videos for the Raptor flare. Even ONE startup without it can reduce the psi due to gravels in the impellers.

Also, you may want to consider a jet tube vs a power nozzle. Less HP hose.
But... make sure the jet tube is made for HOSE to HOSE connections. Some sold are designed to be attached to dredge flares.

Also, you're getting confused on all the GPH stuff. Only a small amount of water is produced by the actual pump when dredging. it gets reduced to about 1/2" in the nozzle. The gph is from the suction hose.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:01 am 

Doc, thanks for the info. Looking forward to the Viper Flare, once I return from deployment. I will also take a look at the jet tube. I wasn't aware they made those for the hose to hose situations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:56 am 
Site Admin

griffinsaic wrote:
Doc, thanks for the info. Looking forward to the Viper Flare, once I return from deployment. I will also take a look at the jet tube. I wasn't aware they made those for the hose to hose situations.

Yes, I'm going to buy one for the Raptor 2" and show it being used.
Call Keene and ask them about it because their website sucks when it comes to info like that.
Actually... call Tammy at Crisson Gold Mine and have her order it.
She knows what I'm talking about.

Doc

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:49 pm 

When it comes to dredging, psi matters much more than gph. That Northstar 2 inch hi pressure pump will work perfect. On my viper I run a 2 1/2 inch suction nozzle with it and I run the pump at about 1/2 throttle. Plenty of suction and plenty of water for the mats. Remember, when dredging its not just the water from the pump but also the water the nozzle is sucking. The pump may be only putting 5000 gph out but added to the nozzle water you are up to between 8000 and 9000 gph.
(yes, I was bored so set up water tubs at home and tested water coming off the sluice, 5gal in 2 seconds, 60 sec in min div by 2 sec per 5 gal is 30 buckets in minute, times 60 min in hour is 1800 buckets hour times 5 gal each bucket is 9000 gph- - - - really gotta get out more)
During this test the pump was about 1/2 throttle and the nozzle was just submerged sucking water only
I run clear hose so I can tell that I run about 1/3 material in the nozzle and 2/3 water. Roughly.
Now I just run the pump so I have good exchange in the mats and still a decent suction :)

As a side note, each place you prospect will be different. Some places may need less water to run the mats, other places may need more water to exchange material. More pitch/less pitch. It all goes back to what Doc has said from the beginning, you have to "tune" your box for the material you are running. While there are "guidelines" to get you going, the final adjustments will be judgement calls you have to make in the field.

Proud to have served in The United States Marine Corps
There is no such thing as an EX-MARINE
LDMA
WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #7 (SILVER)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:42 am 

Pure Country, thanks for the input. I figured out the GPH specs once I really sat down to think about it.

So, 2 1/2" is the max recommended dredge for a Viper Pro Flare? Has anyone pushed it up to 3"?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:28 am 

Using the NorthStare High-pressure pump with a 2-inch Hydro-Force nozzle on the raptor 2 on the beach sands of Nome, Alaska has anyone done so and if so would it be any help to use a 2nd low-velocity tray for super fine gold? I am a newbie to this hobby and have the ability to take a vacation up there this summer. Thanks for any advice or info and especially for not flaming the stupid noob. :? :? Daniel

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Admin

After MANY requests....
We are looking at offering a 3rd tray for the Raptor Flare. Not that most need it, but for just such a case as yours. Lots of black sand... lots of super fines...
The third tray will look much like the 4th tray of the SuperHog with mostly UR and Bedrock.
Doc

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:56 pm 

Daniel, First off, welcome to Gold Hog. Second, no one here will "flame" anyone. We are a very friendly forum that freely exchanges information and ideas. The only stupid questions are those not asked :)
Now, I have the original Viper pro flare. Top box 12 inches wide X 4 foot long, second box flares out to 18 inches wide X 4 foot. I have a tray that goes in the middle but never use it, matter of fact, 99 percent of the gold I catch is in the first 3 foot of the first box.
Granted, I am not in Alaska and not running that fine beach sand. You may want to ask Rayzor13 here on the forum. He in is Alaska and is familiar with running fine sands. Look in the video section, he posts quite a few videos.

Proud to have served in The United States Marine Corps
There is no such thing as an EX-MARINE
LDMA
WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #7 (SILVER)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:24 pm 

Thank you, both DOC and Pure Country. I know I missed it, but is there some site that tells which mats are included and where they are located in the whole mat? Just noticed this is the Viper Pro Flare that retailed for $1,500. I was thinking the New Raptor 2. So sorry. Thank you again. Daniel. :oops:

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Viper Highbanker