Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » The New Monster Hog

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 am 

Finally got a chance to run the Monter Hog today. Lets just say it can do everything they they claim. I could not feed it fast enough. Had about 1/2 ton of material that I removed from an old tailing pile just as test run. My biggest issue was moving the tailings from the end of the unit. Was using a 60 Gal tub to re-circulate. The Tailings built up as fast as I put them in the hopper. I pretty much had to move my tailing bucket after every bucket I dumped into the hopper. So will have to figure something out about this issue cause you can't process dirt if you have to move tailings that often. Definately going to need some Big re-circulating ponds.

Had the angle at around 9deg and ran the pump at a little over a 1/4 throttle. Seemed to have good water flow and speed at this setting. This was just a trial run so will change some things I am sure. Was hard to see how the mats were working and how the exchange of materials that was going on, becaue of the re-circulating set up. The water was dirty after the first 5gal bucket.

Clean up was pretty easy. I think I should have let the system run a few minutes longer after the last bucket to let the Mats clear out some more of the the over burden. But over all there was very little materia/Cons compared to the old slucie set up I had and small amount of material that would be moved thru it. Say Six 5gal buckets and I would have more if not twice the Cons. Plus looks like the upper sluice run got a little off level during the trial run. Thinking some dirt eroded under the blocks I had under the legs?

I ended up with just about .07 of a gram. But the Gold that the Monster Caught was Tiny. Lots of Minus -100 and -200 in the mix for sure. way more than I have seen in some of the stuff run thru the old sluice or thru the Dry washer. So I know the Mats are Catching the Fine stuff for sure. will get some pics of the gold soon. It's not much but it's all pretty small stuff. The Tailing piles can be hit or miss out here as far as gold content, but it's all about moving lots of material when it comes to tailings piles.

I only saw a few issues, I am going to see if I can fix. One was water leaking from the hopper at the seam towards the back end where the two pieces are connected. Thinking some Rubberized spray sealent will fix this problem easily and quickly and hold up better than caulking. Also where the The Sluice units connect, I noticed some water leakage as well. Think I will Gorilla tape these and do a light Rubberized coating after. I also need to see if I can stop all the water that comes off the back of the Hopper, or figure out a way to capture the water and return it to the ponds. I need to conserve as Much water as possible out here in the desert. I don't have the luxury of a stream or large pond that I can access for water. Gonna have to truck it in for now and refill as I need to.

I think I have some Video footage? Not sure though? I was using one of the older go-pro camera's and it's hard to tell if you are shooting Video or not? Either way I will shoot some video when I get the system dialed in and run a greater amount thru the unit.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:46 am 

It sounds like you did a lot of things right if you caught a lot of fine gold on your first run. Keep it up you will get it all sorted out.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Thanks pacog... can't wait to see pics and video.
Couple of tips.
If you get some strips of rubber matting, like v-rib or anything you can find real cheap, cut them about 12" wide and 24" long. Put them under the legs where ever water hits. This will keep erosion to zero. We do this on many units even on our Gold Cube when running in the field.
If you want 100% water proof boxes, just get clear outdoor silicone. Run a SMALL bead and flatten with finger. You might have to change it every few months. Also, what size pump did you get?
You can also try around 7.5 to 8 degrees too. Funny, I like to run my first box / tray around 9 degrees and then the rest around 7.5 ..... Always playing.
Doc

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:21 am 

Ill be in the same boat in about six weeks when i take my large sluice to the desert and recirculat. Ill prolly use small squares of sealed plywood at bottom of legs so it wont settle much after leveling. Yes the water gets dirty instantly with recirc. What i do is bout a 5 gal bucket of the actual material im running and wash it til the water is clear. Then setup your machine and tubs an run that bucket so you can clearly see it in the mats. Make any adjustments and your good to go. Til cleanup anyway. Hope it helps a bit.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:07 pm 

goldhog wrote:
Thanks pacog... can't wait to see pics and video.
Couple of tips.
If you get some strips of rubber matting, like v-rib or anything you can find real cheap, cut them about 12" wide and 24" long. Put them under the legs where ever water hits. This will keep erosion to zero. We do this on many units even on our Gold Cube when running in the field.
If you want 100% water proof boxes, just get clear outdoor silicone. Run a SMALL bead and flatten with finger. You might have to change it every few months. Also, what size pump did you get?
You can also try around 7.5 to 8 degrees too. Funny, I like to run my first box / tray around 9 degrees and then the rest around 7.5 ..... Always playing.
Doc

Doc, Thanks for the response. I will try and get the Video and pics posted soon. Thanks for the tip on the waterproof boxes I figures something like that would work.

I had some wooden blocks under the legs so I could get the right pitch. I am looking at few different option's/set up's to stop the erosion issue besides the rubber pads.

I ended up getting the The Champion pump you suggested. I also have a Keene 4x3 pump with a 9hp motor coming in as well for when I set it up for Dry Land Vaccuming.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 pm 

supafly136 wrote:
Ill be in the same boat in about six weeks when i take my large sluice to the desert and recirculat. Ill prolly use small squares of sealed plywood at bottom of legs so it wont settle much after leveling. Yes the water gets dirty instantly with recirc. What i do is bout a 5 gal bucket of the actual material im running and wash it til the water is clear. Then setup your machine and tubs an run that bucket so you can clearly see it in the mats. Make any adjustments and your good to go. Til cleanup anyway. Hope it helps a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion Supafly. Might have to give it a go next time. 6 weeks, man you are coming out to the desert when It's getting hot.

where do you do your prospecting if you dont mind me asking?

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:40 pm 

Ill be in the goldfieldds around stanton and rich hill area mostly. The heat doesnt really bother me there. Did commercial landscaping here in indiana with massive humidity for bout 15 years. That dry heats cake. Couple tarps and poles for a lil shade and thats all she wrote.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:11 pm 

supafly136 wrote:
Ill be in the goldfieldds around stanton and rich hill area mostly. The heat doesnt really bother me there. Did commercial landscaping here in indiana with massive humidity for bout 15 years. That dry heats cake. Couple tarps and poles for a lil shade and thats all she wrote.

So your in the AZ. Nice. Good Luck out there. I used to live back East as well and the Humidity is a Killer for sure. Dry heat has nothing on it at all.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:00 pm 

Rgr that. And good luck to you too. May the gold be with u young jedi lol.

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » The New Monster Hog