Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » The New Monster Hog

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:45 pm 

When running the Monster Hog with the Champion Pump in situations like we see Doc operating at Gold and Gems. Do you normally run with the engine wide open? And if not how wide a sluice do you think the Champion pump could be used for running the Gold Hog mats? Thank you in advance.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:56 pm 

I believe he said close to full throttle. Do u have the monster hog?

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:29 pm 

No I do not have a Monster Hog at the present time. However myself and 2 other friends are going in together on this fun adventure hobby. We are thinking of starting with a Monster Hog and adding 24 inch wide extensions to it. We already have an older but reliable 3 inch pump to carry as a backup and are looking to confirm our fears that the 2 inch Champion pump will not provide enough water for the 24 inch wide part of our sluice. And thus not waste our money on it and just get a new 3 inch pump to start with. We are trying to set ourselves up with equipment that as few as 2 of us could use and still have enough equipment that as many as 6 people would not be slowed down do to equipment capacities. We envision using the 24 inch extensions later on as a basis for a 5 or 6 inch dredge. One of my partners already has master diver certification.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:27 pm 

Sounds like a hella plan. Just my opinion but i think the 2 inch wont be enough for a 2 foot wide sluice. Good luck on the gold gittin.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:52 pm 

on a slightly related note, My brother and i purchased a Monster Hog a few months ago but due to the regulations here, we are unable to use it as is.
BC law states that a highbanker can be run without a settling pond no closer than 3m from a waterway using only up to a 1 1/2 pump. Does anyone know, or can anyone confirm that the monster hog will run on an inch and a half pump (at a decreased angle of course)?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:49 pm 

saiko, first let me say that the following is all theory and not from hands on knowledge. What you need is the 1 1/2" pump that delivers the most GPH. I do not know of any 1 1/2" pumps that are rated to deliver more GPH than the Honda WH15XK1. It is rated to deliver 115 GPM. On the 8" mini Doc wants the 50 GPM pumps.Thus if the Honda is actually delivering the same percentage of it's 115 GPM rating spread across it's 16" width it should in theory work. Remember that the shorter your intake hose is and the shorter the discharge hose is and the lower the amount you actually lift the water will all increase your actual GPM on any of these gas powered pumps. Also in my opinion your idea of decreasing the angle of the sluice is wrong. I think that running this slightly shallower than ideal depth of water down your sluice will actually require that you run it at a 9 to 12 degree pitch in order to maximize and achieve the desired active matting you need. Good luck with this . I have noticed here and other forums where the B.C. people are having to try and overcome this 1 1/2" regulation. Also there is a very real possibility that you will need to reduce the plumbing diameter in your headerbox in order to achieve the desired washing water pressure. The pump is rated to achieve 55 PSI though which is greater than most of the pumps you normally see running highbankers. Please keep us posted on what you end up doing and how it works so that we may all learn from your experience.

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » The New Monster Hog