Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Prospecting Outings

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:30 pm 

I go to the Gold & Gem on a weekly basis and do reasonably well with my home built stream sluice, but as everyone else, I find lots of gem stones. A question that keeps coming to mind is: Do they find gem stones just up the creek at the LDMA Loud Mine?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:43 pm 

No, The gems at Gold and Gems comes from the pits they dig (right now the pit is about 60 ft deep) Even if you find gems in the creek they are ones that people miss and wash into the creek. Some people run material from the piles and just look for the gold.
At the LDMA they only dig material for outings and they dont dig that deep. They also dont dig piles for people to run. I was at LDMA for 2 full days and no gems, matter of fact, very little gold.

While it is kinda pricey at GnG, we had a great time there and plan on being back in May of next year for about 3 weeks :) We found lots of gems and over 9 grams of gold. The staff was absolutely wonderful.

Proud to have served in The United States Marine Corps
There is no such thing as an EX-MARINE
LDMA
WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #7 (SILVER)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:38 pm 

Thank you for the information. I didn't know the different mining methods used at the two locations. I visited the LDMA mine a few months ago to find out first hand information about membership, but am hesitant to commit the finances until I know my long term goals for prospecting. I can justify the screening cost of Gold n Gem once a week, especially during the hot months. Come the winter months, I don't have a wet suit and I don't think I have the stamina to be breaking a hole in the ice for my stream sluice. And yes, the people at G & G are wonderful.

Finding all the gems at G & G has rekindled an interest in cutting (faceting) gemstones. A good friend asked the other day "What are you going to do with all those stones?" So I have signed up for a one week course in faceting at the Lapidary School up in Young Harris, Ga. I learned the basics of gemology forty years ago in college, but I have not touched a wheel since then. They also offer courses in casting which may be handy if I every get proficient at finding gold.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:45 pm 

I recently took my grandkids (twin girls 8 yrs old, and boy 9) to Thermal City, NC and Gold and Gem Grubbin in Ga. We had a ball! Found bookoo gems (now what do we do with them?) but not much gold. I bought a sluice before I watched any GoldHog videos (what a mistake).
We found 2 specs of gold at Thermal City, and none at G&G, but I think I did it wrong, so need some advise. At G&G I had the kids haul dry dirt down to the creek where i used my 1/4" classifier to make it easier for the sluice to work. But i classified wet, not dry, and the result was a think clay-like substance which i fed to sluice. I think i should have classified dry and fed that to sluice, as we found no gold, and I suspect it was because the gold was bound up in the clay-like stuff i classified. Any advise much welcome as I'll be going back. Hope to meet "Doc" and crew one day!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:48 pm 

Classifying dry or wet is more of a personal choice. To me, I think its better to wet for 2 reasons. 1. less dust and 2. I think its better to wash off the material.
Most of the gold from GnG is going to be fine. Most people that use other sluices cant capture it and just wash it into the creek. Usually material from the creek has better gold than the piles but the piles have more gems.
Look back on page one of this thread and you can see the gems and gold we got there last May. Next year we will be back, sucks to live 1200 miles away.

LDMA

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:18 pm 

I usually do dry classifying, but because of all the thunderstorms lately, I have done wet the last several trips to G&G. Normally I use a 1" screen to separate out all of the river rocks then use a #4 (1/4") screen to separate out the stones from the dirt. I scoop the dirt into my home made stream sluice and dump the stones into a screen basket that I made out of 1/4" expanded metal which I set out in the river.

I have noticed that the frequency of gem stones in the piles has been less than average lately, but I have also noticed lots of big machinery and digging in the old mine pond. I saw a video on the web the other day about the "big dig" to replenish the stock piles. I am excited about the prospect of new dirt.

Tom

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:41 am 

Hey Pure Country,
Did you dredge the creek or process the material provided by the camp owners? And did the gems and gold come from the same source? We did not do as well on gold, but it was my 1st time and I'm a real novice. I purchased a sluice before I watched all of the GoldHog videos - what a mistake. We also classified the camp supplied material wet, which I think was a mistake as we ended up with a clay-like mess that I think bound up the gold and did not allow the sluice to catch it. Souldwe have classified dry and fed that to sluice? For sure we will be back!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 am 

Hey GoldHogger Web Master,
Maybe need to change forum to Cleveland, Ga as there is no gold per se in Cleveland, TN, just across the border.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:05 am 

Eddie, a lot of the gold came from dredging in the creek. (keep in mind we were there for just over 2 weeks) But many people screen the material from the piles in the creek as they only look for the gems. (which they also wash out some gems). Most of the gems came from the pile.
As Doc has said several times, sometimes the piles have pretty good gold, sometimes not.

LDMA

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:17 pm 

New dirt on the piles by the river, but don't get your hopes up.

I was out at G&G this afternoon, dodging thunderstorms, and got to try the new dirt that was recently dug out of the mining pond. Oh my, it was not a good experience. The clay and silt is ten times worse than the old stuff. There was absolutely no way it would feed through my stream sluice. I did not even try. I tried running several buckets through my screen box looking for gems, but it just clogged with golf ball size clumps of sticky gray clay. I found some gems, but it was an effort.

My second disappointment came when I started finding pieces of shiny black obsidian in the screen. Up till then, I was content that the gems at G&G were a natural occurrence, but finding volcanic glass in Georgia is not natural. When the folks at the front office identified the glass as obsidian, I questioned it's origin and they said that there used to be volcanoes in Georgia. My geology book would agree, but the volcanoes in Georgia were over a 150 million years ago.

Ho hum......

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Prospecting Outings