Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 pm 

Kate, one thing I did to hold material a little longer was to raise the back (where the water enters) of the header box. I used pieces of aluminium angle (3/4 X 3/4, or 1 x 1 or 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 and 2 X 2) In a pinch you could just break a piece of a tree branch and use it. Raising the back of the header box DECREASES the angle of that plate inside and allows just a little more wash time.
Michael

Proud to have served in The United States Marine Corps
There is no such thing as an EX-MARINE
LDMA
WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #7 (SILVER)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:15 pm 

If its anything like the excavator, could you have a bucket setup to catch the tailings and re-run when the bucket starts to fill? I find this works well in the heavy clay area we work.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 pm 

Pure Country: Yes, I did that out in the field (lift the top tray a little) but this did not assist unfortunately. It did decrease the angle of the splash plate, but insufficient to hold the clay/degraded roots etc for any appreciable extra time.

Shivan: I did dig out a good sized hole for my 'top tray tailings' to fall into, and then re-ran that pile after every wheel-barrow load of soils etc had been put through. I do believe this will have assisted with my catch rate, but it seems to be opposite to the Gold Hog's whole purpose.

I am thinking of removing the original splash-plate, replacing it with a 20% shorter one (same angle) and then putting in a "grizzly bar" section. Nothing too extreme, just a few bars to hold those big clay chunks so I can give them a "nudge" whilst under water pressure, to break them up better.

I am a one-man (woman) operation, so I'm not putting through a ton an hour ... it takes me more than that to DIG a half ton!!!! But I happily spend 6 hours or so per day, just digging and loading into the wheel-barrow, then shovelling into the GH ... then back again for my next load!!! :roll: :lol:

"We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties"

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:32 pm 

mdvga wrote:
Sorry, Bro...I have not been able to test the new Tri-Nozzel. I just bought a trommel and am focused on getting it dialed in and replacing the Miners Moss with GH mats.
I only get to run material in the field on Saturdays and that depends on the weather.
It may be a couple of weeks, but I will get it done and report back.

mdvga

What kind of Trommel did you buy?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:13 pm 

I really like your modifications looks very nice..

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:15 am 

The Tri-nozzle didn't work for me. Not enough force out of the nozzles. :-(

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:48 am 

Just ordered one for here in Alaska

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:43 am 

DrNugget, sorry, I just saw your post, I bought a Summit Pro 14" Trommel. I made some mods including replacing the sluice with a 10' x 16" . I got it up to almost 4 yards per hour. My friend and I just built our won trommel and it is in testing now. It has a 30" barrel. :-)

Last edited by mdvga on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:49 pm 

Im thinking of putting a spray nozzle with a valve to my header box so i can set a small 2.5 gal bucket on the box and it will self feed material without shaking the bucket. this way i can run a garden hose and adjust the water to empty the bucket in 15 to 20 seconds. Anyone else try this yet? I think it would make it easier if you aren't holding the bucket the entire time. The other idea I had was a melting tray that would hold a 5 gal bucket worth of material and feed at the same rate.

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker