Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker

Post subject: Gold Hog Combo Unit Mods
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am 

Seeking ways to improve the performance of an almost perfect piece of equipment is not easy, but those of use who are tinkerers and perfectionists are always trying to improve stuff...never being satisfied with the status quo.
So...what have you done to improve the overall efficiency of your Gold Hog Combo Unit, or "Big Hog".
A good place to start is by stating the issue you are trying to improve upon.
I.e., buckets per hour, classifying, water flows, clean up, assembly and/or tear down, transportation, reducing losses, etc.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:13 pm 

1.) I find the Crash Box assembly to be too small for me personally. I can only lift about half a bucket of material at a time due to my inability to lift much in my old age. Every time it is a bit tricky trying to balance a bucket on its side and pour the material in and still get it all in the crash box. I am envious of the Monster Hog style crash box...it's bigger and longer.
2.) Quick disconnects for the input nozzle hole assembly. I don't like to leave mine on, but it can be a real bear to remove when grit gets in the PVC slip fitting.

I'll document my progress.

mdvga

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm 

Here's what I am trying on the Crash Box. The box has been inverted and reversed.
I only had to drill a few holes to make this change. No cutting and everything can be restored to as built fairly easily. I did end up with an extra piece.
My goal is to have a bigger opening, making it easier to load material, and also to keep material in the box longer to do a more thorough job of washing the rocks. With the nozzle(s) lower, it may keep the rock in the box longer than I want. We'll see. I gotta figure a mnifold now to utilize the two 1-1/4" inlets too.
mdvga

Attachments:
Inverted and Reversed Crash Box.jpg
Inverted and Reversed Crash Box.jpg [ 52.9 KiB | Viewed 6785 times ]
One Leftover piece.jpg
One Leftover piece.jpg [ 105.19 KiB | Viewed 6785 times ]
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:46 am 

Here's my quick disconnect solution for the Crash Box. The key is the flange in the middle. It comes in 2" with female NPT threads on both side for easy installation of the pieces on either side.
The i.d. is a full 2" so no flow restrictions. The only mod to the crashbox itself is enlarging the main hole to 3" to accommodate the flange.
Realistically once I have added these pieces I probably won't remove them every time I set up and break down, but I really like the quick disconnects using cam and lever connectors.
mdvga

Attachments:
Quick Disconnect Crash Box Input Plumbing.jpg
Quick Disconnect Crash Box Input Plumbing.jpg [ 139.3 KiB | Viewed 6776 times ]
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:07 am 

Ran my GH today with the re-configured Crash Box. I am not satisfied with the single jet of water so I am going to put together a three nozzle solution like Doc has on his Monster hog.
I wish the crash box was longer to make the material spend a bit more time getting washed before heading down the skimmer tray.
I did not use any mat at all on the Skimmer Tray.
After re-reading the recommendations on mats, velocities, and incline, I think I need to increase the incline beyond the 2" I tried today.
The catch bucket is still muddy indicating some material is not dropping out, and the rocks are not completely clean but have some clay on them.
I screened to 1" before running and felt good about that part of the process.
I also panned out a few tailings and found 1 piece of -150, so that looks ok.
Pressin' on.
mdvga

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:01 pm 

Ok, here's my first attempt at re-configuring the Crash Box Input Nozzle set-up. I have patterned it after the Monster Hog set-up Doc is currently experimenting with. However, I had to use 1-1/2" pipe instead of 2". Otherwise it would be too wide and would not fit inside the box. This will screw in to the Flange on the inside of the box and replace the piece of black 2" in the photo above.
I will run it within the next week and report on how it runs.
mdvga

Attachments:
GH Tri-Nozzle Set-up 3 small.jpg
GH Tri-Nozzle Set-up 3 small.jpg [ 94.63 KiB | Viewed 6745 times ]
GH Tri-Nozzle Set-up 2 small.jpg
GH Tri-Nozzle Set-up 2 small.jpg [ 62.73 KiB | Viewed 6745 times ]
GH Tri-Nozzle Set-up 1 Small.jpg
GH Tri-Nozzle Set-up 1 Small.jpg [ 94.83 KiB | Viewed 6745 times ]
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:44 pm 

:( Well, my first prototype of the Tri-Nozzle didn't work. It ended being too long overall. I need to shorten it up by at least 6".
So here's my next version, based on a double wye fitting. It's the one on the right.
mdvga

Attachments:
Tri-Nozzle Ver 2.jpg
Tri-Nozzle Ver 2.jpg [ 104.17 KiB | Viewed 6720 times ]
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:35 am 

Hi, mdvga. Have you been able to test out your newest spray system the "the Double Y" ?
any other mods that you have been working on or thinking about?

Thanks in advance,

-Mike R.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:06 pm 

Sorry, Bro...I have not been able to test the new Tri-Nozzel. I just bought a trommel and am focused on getting it dialed in and replacing the Miners Moss with GH mats.
I only get to run material in the field on Saturdays and that depends on the weather.
It may be a couple of weeks, but I will get it done and report back.

mdvga

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:55 am 

Mdvga
Im in the process of building a 12 inch by 48inch high banker,with a center fed. Im going to try a 1 and a half inch tee with two 90S. My thought was the God Hog had just one 2 inch feed and worked ok, so two 1 and a half, should do better in the same amount of space. You might want to try it when you go out for your test run! Just a thought, after all you still have one great machine as is!
Good luck with all your projects.
Steve from N E Ohio

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker