Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker

Post subject: Re: Water Pumps
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

BUG wrote:
Doc, after looking at many of your video' and hearing you give what I think is good advice I looked at the Cabelas semi trach 2" water pump kit with all the hoses and 5.5hp eng. Well the timing was right because it's on sale for $199.88. Got me One!! :D

Good, never seen it that low before.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:44 pm 

I just picked up the same pump from Cabelas here in Utah today. Now I just need to figure out what all to buy for the dredging part. I'm glad I did some research on the pumps too. Cheap price for a decent pump.

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:21 pm 

Just browsing the Forum and came across this thread ... most timely!!

I had purchased a 1" semi-trash pump BEFORE I got interested, and bought, the Gold Hog. Of course, the 1" isn't going to be enough for the job :roll:

Trash and semi-trash pumps here in Australia are very expensive ... generally retailing around the $500 mark for the 2" semi-trash. But I came across a 3" Trash unit the other day, brand new, for $350 including delivery (I live on a rural farm property) so I snapped it up.

The specs for it are as follows:

- Suction and discharge port diameter 3" (80mm)
- Max head 26m, max suction 8m
- Max flow 78m3/h
- Self priming time 120s/4m
- Max solids 35mm
- 196cc forced air cooled, 4 stroke, OHV engine
- 6.5HP/3600rpm
- Fuel tank capacity 3.6L
- Oil tank capacity 0.6L
- Pull start (recoil)
- Oil: SAE 10W30 (Above CC grade)

Now this old girl has a bit of a problem with all of this flow rate stuff, so can anyone enlighten me as to what the conversion rate would be for 78 cubic metres/hr? Obviously it will be enough to run the Gold Hog as a highbanker (dredging is illegal in Australia unless you are a Commercial operation with appropriate approvals, licencing etc.) but I am interested to know if I will have to build a by-pass for excess water flows/pressure etc.

"We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties"

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:22 am 
Site Admin

This should be helpful... even though it still can be confusing.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/flow_rate_volume/m3_hour.html

Looks like about 20,000 gallons per hour which is about what our 3" semi runs.
The only issue you may have is getting the water flow SLOW enough.
Even at idle the 3" pumps put out a great deal of water.
So... be prepared.
Couple of things.
1) Don't bring the 3" hose up to the box. It is too heavy. In fact, reduce the hose to a 2" right at the pump so you can buy 2" hoses which are cheaper.
2) Get a section of 2" dredge hose or spa hose. About 8 feet long. Run that from the GH box to a flow control valve. (sitting on the ground) Then hook up your lay flat hose to it. The stiff hose keeps the hose from kinking and you will be able to further reduce the flow if needed.

I did a horrible job explaining that.
Here is a video where you can see the hoses:
I started it at the right point: http://youtu.be/Zyrt-vdj81c?t=7m58s
Doc

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:49 am 

G'day Doc :D Thanks for that ... either you did a good job of explaining, or my mind is as kinked as your explanation!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I had thought that I might have to purchase a couple of those reducing valves, so will take your advice. I had also wondered if I might make an "overflow" or "diversion" hose ... to discard some of the excess water-flow after the pump and before the GH??

Anyway, I understood what you wrote above, but the video is brilliant!! I got just so much out of it ... so I think I'd better watch it a couple of times over :D

Thank you for taking the time and effort to respond ... very much appreciated :D

"We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties"

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

AussieKate wrote:
G'day Doc :D Thanks for that ... either you did a good job of explaining, or my mind is as kinked as your explanation!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I had thought that I might have to purchase a couple of those reducing valves, so will take your advice. I had also wondered if I might make an "overflow" or "diversion" hose ... to discard some of the excess water-flow after the pump and before the GH??

Anyway, I understood what you wrote above, but the video is brilliant!! I got just so much out of it ... so I think I'd better watch it a couple of times over :D

Thank you for taking the time and effort to respond ... very much appreciated :D

Love the idea of a diversion / release valve.... the problem with a normal gate type valve is that pressure builds up too high and you get a bath. It might work for some... but a wet t-shirt contest with Doc in it is not for everyone... lol

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:23 pm 

I am not sure how many are aware of this but I wanted to share. I am always looking for a way to accrue airline miles; I go through Alaska Airlines. I am buying the semi trash pump as suggested by others on this forum and found that if I go through Alaska Airlines shopping portal, Northern Tools (a participating merchant) gives two miles for every dollar spent, so in addition to getting the pump I will also get over a thousand airline miles for the purchase. I'm sure other airlines have similar programs so it doesn't hurt to check. Also using a miles or points CC will increase the benefits. I just discovered this yesterday and really wasn't sure where to post this information but I hope you will find it helpful. Wishing everyone a great day.

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker