Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker

Post subject: Water Pumps
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:18 pm 

Hey guys, I just ordered my Goldhog and am excited to get it running! Harbor Freight has a pump on sale for $179.00, but t is marked as "Clean water". The semi trash units are almost 2x the cost... If I ran the clean water pump with the intake in a bucket to keep out the debris, would it be ok?

I would appreciate any advice.

Post subject: Re: Water Pumps
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Scottw26101 wrote:
Hey guys, I just ordered my Goldhog and am excited to get it running! Harbor Freight has a pump on sale for $179.00, but t is marked as "Clean water". The semi trash units are almost 2x the cost... If I ran the clean water pump with the intake in a bucket to keep out the debris, would it be ok?

I would appreciate any advice.

It might be high pressure as well, which can be hard to control.
Also, you can use a clear water pump, but you have to take GREAT care to keep small gravels out.
(More than a bucket.) Usually a very fine screening system around the secondary bucket.
Go to Ebay and search for ------ 2" semi trash water pump ---- I think they are around $199 there.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:50 pm 

Okay, here's my problem. I'm in B.C. and have to have a 1.5" intake to comply with the regs. I'm using a 2" pump with 9240 gph and 50 psi to my combo unit.
I have a 20 foot 1.5" suction hose hooked to a 1.5 to 2" conversion into the pump. On the discharge side, I have a 2" to 1.5" conversion to a 50 foot 1.5" discharge hose up to a 1.5 to 2" conversion into the unit.
I'm running this all on flat ground right now although the pump is rated for 115 feet of lift and 26 feet of suction head. I'm not getting much pressure to the unit and can't get the water to even go off the edge of the unit.
Any ideas on how to fix this? The pump is new, second one I've had, and I had the same problem with the other but thought it was the pump.
Any help is appreciated!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Diver wrote:
Okay, here's my problem. I'm in B.C. and have to have a 1.5" intake to comply with the regs. I'm using a 2" pump with 9240 gph and 50 psi to my combo unit.
I have a 20 foot 1.5" suction hose hooked to a 1.5 to 2" conversion into the pump. On the discharge side, I have a 2" to 1.5" conversion to a 50 foot 1.5" discharge hose up to a 1.5 to 2" conversion into the unit.
I'm running this all on flat ground right now although the pump is rated for 115 feet of lift and 26 feet of suction head. I'm not getting much pressure to the unit and can't get the water to even go off the edge of the unit.
Any ideas on how to fix this? The pump is new, second one I've had, and I had the same problem with the other but thought it was the pump.
Any help is appreciated!

Sorry, I'm still confused on the hose arrangement.
Maybe this will help me:
Use these terms.
Intake: Goes from the stream to the pump intake.
Outflow: Coming out of the pump then hooked to the nozzle.
Suction hose: goes from nozzle to the sluice.
My first red flag was when you said 50 feet of hose somewhere.
50 feet is a LONG hose for any unit.
Doc

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm 

Sorry, Doc. The intake hose is a 1.5", 20 footer and then I am running a 50 foot 1.5" lay flat discharge hose to the highbanker. When I said 2" to 1.5" conversion pieces, I meant the PVC reducers so that the 1.5" hoses will fit the 2" pump and the highbanker. I'm using this purely as a highbanker as we are not allowed to dredge up here without a huge amount of paperwork.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Diver wrote:
Sorry, Doc. The intake hose is a 1.5", 20 footer and then I am running a 50 foot 1.5" lay flat discharge hose to the highbanker. When I said 2" to 1.5" conversion pieces, I meant the PVC reducers so that the 1.5" hoses will fit the 2" pump and the highbanker. I'm using this purely as a highbanker as we are not allowed to dredge up here without a huge amount of paperwork.

Something doesn't sound right for sure.
If it was a high pressure pump I would take off the face and clean the impeller blade.
Gravel gets lodged in ours and it's done for until we clean it.
however, yours sounds like a semi trash which would not have that problem.
Not really sure.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:08 pm 

Being that you have to reduce the 2" intake to 1.5" you may be seeing the effects of the pump not being able to supply enough volume within the pump body. The reduction of the output won't hurt the performance, in fact it would increase the pressure at the end of the discharge hose.

here's a way to see what I am talking about.

take a glass of water, and drink the water with a regular straw like you would get from McDonalds or Burger King. It didn't take long at all to empty the glass. Now do the same process but use a small coffee stir straw. You would have to suck on the straw harder to get a little water to drink from the glass and it takes longer to get a gulp full.

This is basically whats going on with your pump. Watch the pump casing temp closely as heat will build up rather quickly and could damage the pump. Personal advice, see about getting a smaller pump that you wouldn't have to reduce to comply with the local regulations. Most high bankers that use a 1.5" water delivery system will work perfectly fine on the smaller pumps. If that's not an option, try building a T out of PVC so that you can run two 1.5" intakes to the single 2" intake of the pump. This should allow the pump to draw more water while keep the heat under control.

-Chris

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 pm 

Thanks, guys. So, the 1.5" pumps put out less volume but would it still be okay to run the Gold Hog unit? What are the minimum water/pump requirements for the Combo unit to use it solely as a highbanker? I know that the 2" semi-trash is recommended but will a 1.5" be okay or would it not have enough volume?

Thanks again!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Diver wrote:
Thanks, guys. So, the 1.5" pumps put out less volume but would it still be okay to run the Gold Hog unit? What are the minimum water/pump requirements for the Combo unit to use it solely as a highbanker? I know that the 2" semi-trash is recommended but will a 1.5" be okay or would it not have enough volume?

Thanks again!

Really like to see a pump that is rated at about 6000 gph or above.
Doc

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:12 pm 

Doc, after looking at many of your video' and hearing you give what I think is good advice I looked at the Cabelas semi trach 2" water pump kit with all the hoses and 5.5hp eng. Well the timing was right because it's on sale for $199.88. Got me One!! :D

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker