Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker

Post subject: Combo Unit Feedback
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:43 pm 

GoldHog Feedback

I just have to start off by saying I love it!!

I got a 2” semi trash pump that came with hoses but decided 20ft of pressure hose wasn’t enough so I bought 50’ more with male and female fittings pre installed.(it’s the only way I’ll buy hose again) Ordered hoses and fittings for a hydro force 250 suction nozzle.
Couldn’t waiting for the nozzle to arrive, so I loaded the truck and headed out 4 hours to a site recommended by my prospecting club.
Setup was easy- (just move it from the truck to the sand bar)
-a trip for the heavy pump
-a trip for the hoses
-a trip (twice)for the GoldHog (4pieces)
-a trip for the shovel, pick, buckets
**advice: bring kids or friends like doc does, to do all the extra work/trips

-Move the Gold Hog closer to the pump…70’ was too far
-Re Attach heavy hose when it falls off
##(it really did fall off one time, and it is heavy when full of water)
-Re Adjust feet on Hog to Re level (the rocks move with weight)
-Bandage knee after Cobbles turn under foot and you go A** over Tea Kettle
**plan to get wet unless you have afore mentioned kids or friends to do the work

I started by filling buckets from a bed rock out cropping poking through the gravel. Filling them was pretty easy but are they heavy, after five buckets I started half buckets. It was about 8 PM and I was exhausted. So I shut it down and did a quick clean up then packed it all up the bank. That clean up was the easiest I have ever done and I was amazed at the small amount of concentrates.
The next morning, having learned a bit, setup was way easier and I was producing in no time. My set up was to just shovel the material as best I could, no more heavy buckets. I did that for four hours and got wet every time the shovel touched the water flow, which happened more frequently as the day wore one. It was getting real hot out so the water felt good but I shudder to think of the fall temperatures. Oh wait I’ll have my suction nozzle by then and a whole new learning curve to master.
Once again cleanup was amazingly easy. I took the concentrates (they all fit in my gold pan) down to the stream and panned them till the bigger pieces showed and picked them out to show the club members. The club was putting on a feed of burgers and hot dogs and I was going to have some bragging rights with my pretties.

Minor problems-

-small sand/pebbles are blown up between the crash box and the sides that bind, this makes it very hard to lift the crash box for clean out, there is no way to hold the skimmer tray down when lifting. I have now installed a handle to the skimmer tray to deal with this problem but I’m sure the sand will continue to be trying.
-small 3/8” pebbles lodge in the skimmer tray classification plate holes.
**This machine eats more than I can feed it….need Help!!!!
Thought you might like to see the final clean up. Just look at those micro fines, I’m really impressed with the mats and the Gold Hog.

SandDog

Attachments:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 14.11 KiB | Viewed 7221 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Combo Unit Feedback
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:05 pm 

Thanks for the report, SandHog. Good job, well-written and informative.
I think getting enough help will be my challenge too.
mdvga

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:03 pm 

I know the feeling SandDog. It's a major undertaking sometimes to get all my equipment to the creek. Thank God I've got a son that likes to prospect and a few friends also. I run a 7' long dredge. Seems like the better the locations, the harder they are to get too. One of them has an 8 foot cliff that everything has to be manhandled down.

"I'm a Pessimistic Realist! I always have been! There's less disappointment that way."

Member - PLP (Public Lands for the People)
WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #1 (GOLD)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:27 am 

Great Finds and Great Informative Story
Guy

Please Visit My Online Store for Unique Gold Prospecting and Metal Detecting Merchandise.
http://zazzle.com/Big1011Guy*

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:56 am 

Ran my Big Hog last evening for the first time in concentrator, recirculating mode with the Razorback mat: Full UR/Razor/Scrubber/UR.
I ran some really nasty material from a creek that was mostly clay (about 2 gallons). I stuck the piece of expanded metal from my excavator in the crash box to hold the clay balls there to be washed thoroughly and then smashed them up by hand before releasing the material to the mats.
Like I said, pretty nasty material...a lot of twigs and leaves and rocks, and 80% heavy clay.
Other than the bilge pump getting clogged up once, it really ran pretty well.
I did not classify at all and had a few 3" rocks and a lot of smaller ones averaging 1".
The material was from my Excavator tailings of a couple of weeks ago.
The yield was one +30, and twenty or so -100's down to -200.
I was pretty pleased with the results.
However, I did find the Razorback mat very difficult to reverse roll as it is so thick. It took a bit of effort, making the cleanup much longer. I even had to brush the mat to get all the small rocks out of the grooves. No doubt this mat will catch fine gold!
Anyway it really put a smile on my face.
My next experiment will be to remove two processing trays and run it in Concentrator mode with the full UR in the top skimmer tray and Razorback in the bottom tray.
It will be my "Extreme Excavator" mode. Ha!
mdvga
PS-Doc, how about making an adaptor plate for me to attach my Excavator without the crash box to the end of my Big Hog as a safety sluice??? I know...I'm always thinkin' of something new.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:36 pm 

Hey guys,
I'm not trying to do a produce plug or anything, just wanted to see what you thought of this item before I ordered one... I was doing some shopping online today and found a product that may help reduce the number of trips to carry the pump, hoses, Gold Hog, etc.

On Cabela.com (also on SportsmansGuide.com) and found a cart for hauling deer out of the woods; the measurements looked good and there were pretty good product reviews. If anyone has a chance to check it out, please post your thoughts, I'd be interested to see what you guys think (pretty new at this).

They have several to choose from. I searched for "deer cart" and found this one was the least expensive.
Primal Vantage Steel Deer Cart : Item: IK-420219
Regular Price: Sale Price:
$79.99 $49.99

Attachment:
cart.jpg
cart.jpg [ 18.03 KiB | Viewed 7068 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:00 am 

Doc, I am finding the Crash Box assembly to be too small for me personally. I can only lift about half a bucket of material at a time due to my inability to lift much in my old age. Every time it is a bit tricky trying to balance a bucket on its side and pour the material in and still get it all in the crash box.
I am envious of the Monster hog style crash box...it's longer and has spray bars.
I am also working on some quick disconnects for the input nozzle hole assembly. I don't like to leave mine on, but it can be a real bear to remove when grit gets in the PVC slip fitting.
I'll send some pictures when I get it worked out.
Anyway, I love my highbanker.
Thanks

PS-maybe you could build one that connects two gold hogs side by side for a total of 24" width of mat, with a singel crash box feeding both!? :-)

Last edited by mdvga on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:01 pm 

Prior to buying the items to run mine as a dredge, I was building a feed box extension so that the opening would be a little wider. We had only used that additional piece one time before growing very tired of carrying buckets up and down the hill. It didn't take much to build the extra hopper, roughly a $5 trip to the local scrap yard and 2 hours of thinking and building time. But it did work out great for using 5 gallon pails. Prior to this idea, we stopped using the 5 gallon pails and switched to 2 gallon pails. Yes you have to carry more pails, but they were a lot lighter to hold and feed, and you didn't spill hardly any material out of the feed box. The next time I get out to the workshop I will do what I can to either take photos or a small video of the feed box extension. Just pardon the mess in my shed, it's a bit of a collect all type of building that I am constantly re-arranging. Having the GH High Banker, 2 full pumps, a spare motor for the semi trash pump and a 5500 watt generator can be difficult to work around, but then you add in a full size oxy/acet torch, mig welder, table saw, band saw, push mower, etc and you can really see how it can turn from a large workable area to just a space with small trails quickly. I'll update this post with the video or photos when the weather clears up a bit, too much rain right now to chance taking the camera gear out of the house.

-Chris

Last edited by Chrishjr on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 pm 

Yes, I would like to see some pictures of what you came up with. Glad to see I'm not the only one with similar challenges.
Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:34 pm 

I couldn't find the extension, it probably got used in a different project recently. I'll build another one in the next few days and show photos of it with dimensions for others to make one similar. But for now, here is a crappy video (my good camera is being held hostage currently) of my work shop.

http://vimeo.com/user14806748/workshop

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Stacking Highbanker