Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Mats

Post subject: when to do cleanout
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:48 pm 

I have to do my first use of your mats in my new GH stream sluice. You stop to cleanout after five or ten gallons of run. You also say no matter how many buckets I run I will always get about two cups from tthe mats. I am VERY nervous about running too long before cleanout. Do the mats continue to exchange so I could run several hours before cleanout and not have the mats stop working?? I need reassurance!

Post subject: Re: when to do cleanout
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:28 pm 

I usually run 2 full 5 gal. Buckets before I do a clean out iwith my multi sluce. Now I've asked this same question before & some people do a clean out after 25 gal. Of dirt. But I do notice after I run 10 gal. Of material my mats look as if I could run more because there's still lots of spots for the gold to hide. But I guess it also depends on the type of material your running, sands vs. Cobbled earth etc.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:37 am 
Site Admin

We have commercial ops that run 12 hours straight. If that's any comfort.
It's really just science and as long as the exchange is active and the sluice is tuned correctly, long runs are fine. The exchange will keep happening with the heaviest material "winning" and staying in the sluice. It gets a little more complex when you're targeting multiple sizes of gold, SUPER fines, medium gold, and pickers, but for the most part the gold will simply sit there.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:20 am 

Like Doc said:
If your material is dancing and you aren't over feeding-flat boarding- the sluice you will be fine.
Material should be dancing like ants on crack. I'll never forget Doc's quote:
Try to flush the sluice out then back off a little bit. Don't be scared to see black sand leaving
the sluice. It should be -about 1/2 of it. If you get an area in the sluice that seems to not exchange
take a small stick and push it sideways to level it out. I try to have a V current in my sluice and i put the material in front and under it. This way I never overfeed my sluice. The material will wash down at it's own erosion rate. Hope this makes sense.
As for clean outs-I only do it once a day unless I get eager to see my gold. Remember, I mine at the sluicing point. I have done my prospecting. Move as much material as I possibly can at the sluicing stage. Take the cons home and pan them out or run them through the multi-sluice finishing mat.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 am 

I try to clean out once an hour. Cleanout, refuel, check oil, catch a chance to get a drink or nibble and then do it all over again. I save all the concentrates in "The Special Bucket".

Roughly 2-3 cups of concentrates from each cleanout. At the end of the last run for the day I slowly scoop the days concentrates from that special bucket into the equipment. If done with sufficient art and skill I will end up with 2-3 cups of concentrates with all the Gold. There will be no loss from Gold somehow fluttering away - because - Hog mats catch and hold Gold - period. Not catch and release like systems where vorticies just barely manage to somehow slow and then just, barely, stop Gold - and then, again, can just as easily loose it's grip on it again.

I classify the 2-3 cups of final concentrates from the entire day's work, pan the oversize and carry the cup of small sized concentrates back to camp.

Confidence in the virtues of the recovery system means that I don't have to hand pan, in failing light and energy, every night.

I have seen operations where 5 or 6 hours of recovery generates 2 hours of hand panning EVERY NIGHT. I don't do that - I wait for a rainy day and process the 4-5 gallons of concentrates with proper sustenance and adult beverage next to the panning tub.

Joe

WAR HORSE DREDGER
- Member #5 (GOLD)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:01 pm 

I plan to use an extension on the Piglet and have noticed in your videos that there seems to be a lot of blond sands in the lower half of the extension sluice. If after running a couple of hours, would it be OK to use a small brush to lightly brush across the riffles (right angles with water flow, and starting at the end of the sluice) to, as Doc says "help the day riders get off the bus?" Since I am also interested in catching gems I plan to place a large plastic tub at the end of the sluice to catch both smaller gems and fines. I plan on using an elevated 1/8" screen to allow automatic separation of the gems from the fines. The screen will be approx. 2" above bottom of tub to make room for fines. Good idea or not?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:02 pm 

I have been advised that once a sluice shutdown is initiated that it must be cleaned out, otherwise some of the existing "caught gold" will be blown out of the sluice upon restart. Is this true of the GH systems?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Whenever you do a shutdown... you run the risk of SOME... migration but not blow out.
Just test it.
Put a tub at the end of your sluice before restart, restart, remove it, and pan it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:26 pm 

I shut down several times in a day and have never seen even a speck lost on starting back up. I dont even check anymore.

Proud to have served in The United States Marine Corps
There is no such thing as an EX-MARINE
LDMA
WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #7 (SILVER)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:54 pm 

Pure Country wrote:
I shut down several times in a day and have never seen even a speck lost on starting back up. I dont even check anymore.

I stop and start 5-6 times when dredging and never found a problem.

WAR HORSE DREDGER - Member #2 (GOLD)

Board index » Gold Hog Prospecting Forum » Gold Hog Mats